Today is a beautiful day...

xXx

Friday, June 7, 2013

Look, Some Books!

 Hey :)


xXx

Today I bought a book. 
I just nipped to look at the first few stall of our local market, on my way down to the shops this morning, and ended up coming away with something I've been hankering after for a while. Well, to be straight, it was more that I have been after seeing a certain film (Kes) for a good time now- Dad has been recommending it to me for years- and today I came across the book that inspired said film. (I admit I wasn't even entirely aware that it was a book until today- the more you know!) Anyway here it is: Barry Hines' A Kestrel For A Knave, and,  as you can see, a bargain it was too :)

{What a find: 50p from the local market.}

Also, as I'm currently on books, I thought I would take this opportunity to tie-up a couple of loose ends that have been pestering me.
Firstly, I had begun to post a series of book review videos on my Youtube channel, documenting my progress though the last book I read (read *devoured*) Anne Bronte's The Tenant Of Wildfell Hall, but unfortunately, the sunshine decided to come out, life (too much enjoying myself outdoors) got in the way and in doing so a couple of things fell by the wayside. So, apologies for this and to update those who were interested, I have finished it now and enjoyed it immensely. Perhaps it's as well I didn't tell you the whole story and ending, so that it hasn't been spoiled for you, because I certainly recommend you giving it a go :) 

{keeping me company by my bedside, a good book is like a companion.} 

Another book that I did almost exactly the same thing with was Rachel Joyce's The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry.
I was lent the French translation by the mother of a French friend of mine and got part of the way through.
Life happened again but this time I never got back to finishing the book, even in English. This is a huge shame because I was enjoying the story very much. I still plan to find a copy and go back to it one day, and would definitely recommend it.

{Long-winded: The French title translates as The Letter That Is Going To Change The Destiny Of Harold Fry Will Arrive On Tuesday !}
Image courtesy of Google

The next book Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited, I bought at a car-boot sale the other week. I've not yet tucked into it yet but on perusing my purchase I noticed a sticker pasted into the cover. It's for a website called bookcrossing.com where readers can track the journeys their books have made before they came to rest on their laps. I've heard of people writing in books before passing them on to others, in fact, I myself have do a few times whilst travelling, so I was excited to hear someone had mad the effort to create a website where all these people can convene :)

{Sharing the love of books with others} 

And so to my current read. A non fiction work on neurology. Very different for me, but my Beloved read it for Psychology, and told me I should give it a go. So I did, and to my surprise, I'm really enjoying it!
It's primarily concerned with the phenomenon of so called 'phantom limbs'- a condition where some amputees and even a few people born without limbs, feel as though they do have those missing body parts- even to the extent that they feel pain in them or are able to 'wave' them voluntarily and 'grasp' at things. 
it's incredibly intriguing and so accessibly written (even humorous at times) that it's a real page-turner.

{Unlikely choice for me}

What are you reading at the moment? Anything to recommend?

Have a great weekend, let's hope the sun shines on!

xXx




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey ho folkies, nice to hear from ya ;) If you'd like a reply don't forget the check the 'notify me' box :)
x