Hey there :)
So I've recently acquired a few new dresses, and what does one do when one acquires new dresses? Why, blog about them of course! ;)
They were all thrifted with exception of the black, lacy, layered one, to the left, which was a gift.
A few of them need altering so I'm only showing front-on shots for now but these can be the 'before' photos and so later on when we get sewing I'll update you.
I say 'we' as my mum is the expert seamstress in our house, and she also took the photos for me :) So thank you Mum!
This 'Sea-sidey' dress (so called because of the pattern of its fabric, cute little poissons-fish- and coquillages-shells-) was a little on the long side for me and so, with some expert advice from my mum, I took the hem up to a more 'me' length ;) Here's how:
|after having tried the dress on and decided on the desired length, I measured from the hem all the way around and put in pins as markers|
|Then I cut off the excess material, leaving a little below the 'pin-line' for my new hem|
|I folded the new hem (creased at the 'pin-line') and pressed it with the iron to keep it in place|
|Now the raw edge of the new hem is tucked under, and pressed to keep in place|
|Time to sew!|
|The criss-cross straps at the back of the dress also need adjusting. I measured and marked where I wanted them re-attached|
|I sewed some lovely old looking press-studs on to act as fasteners|
|The finished dress|
|And from the back|
I'm so pleased with how this first dress-making project has gone, I can see myself doing a lot more sewing now I have been introduced to the machine! I think the flowery 40's style one is next up, it's a little large around the shoulders and it also has a complex arrangement at the back which needs adjusting.
Sooo looking forward to going dancing in these!
Well I will post today's poem later on this evening, hope your Wednesday was nice!